Freelance journalist and copy editor. Accomplished at writing hard-hitting news stories and in-depth feature articles, with specialties in business, health, science, women's interest and travel.
Local Availability: Available for part-time work from home, or at other locations within Wellington city
Cheryl Norrie is a highly experienced journalist who has worked for daily newspapers in New Zealand, and magazines and newsletters overseas. She trained at the post-graduate School of Journalism at the University of Canterbury in 1988 and then worked as health reporter at the Otago Daily Times in Dunedin, New Zealand. She has also worked as a general news reporter at The Dominion newspaper in Wellington.
She spent eight years travelling and working overseas, including time in Budapest, Prague, London and Sydney. She has interviewed former Czech President and dissident playwright Vaclav Havel, and her profile of him for the New Zealand Press Association was published in most of the country's daily newspapers prior to his visit to the country in April, 1995.
She has been a correspondent for the stable of London-based healthcare newsletters owned by the Financial Times, and later by Informa Publishing, for 10 years, providing news stories from Europe and Australasia, and has written about affairs in Australia and New Zealand for Nature Biotechnology, part of the Nature group of publications. She has written features for numerous magazines, including the Australian Journal of Pharmacy, and ME magazine, in Australia, and TNT magazine in London.
She is an experienced copy editor, having worked as an English-language editor for the Hungarian News Agency, and as a copy editor for the Australian Pharmaceutical Publishing Company in Sydney.
She was the Co-ordinating Editor for The Expatriate's Handbook to Hungary, published jointly by the Hungarian government and a private publishing firm, in 1993.
- The Expatriate's Handbook to Hungary, Budapest Media Kft and HIT Investcenter-Tradeinform, Budapest, 1993
- New Zealand GMO Incident Highlights Lack of Standardized Tests, Nature Biotechnology, September 2002
- New Zealand Backs GM Technologies, Nature Biotechnology, September 2001
- Australia's drug regulator seeks clinical retrials, Pharmaceutical Business News (PBN), April 28, 2005
- Pharmac under spent on budget, PBN, November 18, 2004
- 'Boaties will die' if fast ferries not regulated, The Dominion, May 13, 1999
- Child soldiers now a threat to peace, The Dominion, April 15, 1999
- The Dissident who became President: a profile of former Czech President and playwright Vaclav Havel, New Zealand Press Association, March 1995
- Antibiotics: our overuse is catching up with us, ME magazine, winter 1997
- Cell mates: Gene therapy offers new hope for incurable diseases, ME magazine, autumn 1998
- New Zealand Travel Website: www.exploring.co.nz
Wellington, New Zealand